But for now, seeing as the silly season is done and dusted for another 12 months, most evenings are involving being outside, enjoying the pool and spending time together as a little family, and the dinner menu is always seeming to include a salad of some description. Whilst we do tend to stick to the simplistic and basics for the little men, we expand the repetoire for hubby and I and for when we're entertaining guests.
I won't say I created this recipe as such, but sort of made my own version of it, after being served it out a few months back at a BBQ. The original had Quinoa in it as a base. But I'll be honest, I've never actually used Quinoa in any way, shape or form, and know very little about it. From memory it was enjoyable in the salad, but for now this is my very simple version of the salad minus Quinoa!
2 Broccoli, cut into small flowerettes, stalks discarded
6 rashers bacon, diced
3 shallots, thinly sliced
1 cup pinenuts
1/3 cup Aoili
2/3 cup Mayonaise
1. Cut broccoli into small flowerettes and discard stalks.
2. Blanch broccoli in hot water for approximately 2 minutes, until slightly softened. Drain water off. Rinse in cool water and set aside.
3. Fry diced bacon in frypan and drain off excess fat.
4. Combine bacon, pinenuts and shallots and stir through cooled broccoli.
5. Mix aioli and mayonaise together and pour over salad. Combine well.
6. Serve chilled.
NB. This doesn't make a huge salad, hence why it would have been padded out with Quinoa I'd say, but it is a lovely accompaniment to a simple green salad or potato bake or whatever takes your fancy.